05 October 2008

Farewell summer...

Leaves are turning yellow and are quickly making their way to the ground. Sunshine seems to visit us less and less each day. And although I try to keep summer alive by so faithfully wearing my Reef flip flops and ribbed tank tops, my blue tinted toes and the goose bumps that cover my arms tell me I should be doing otherwise. I find myself surrendering to the sweaters in the corner of the closet that have so patiently been awaiting attention. Although less bountiful, last years hot chocolate supply may still be fresh, and I have officially made our first stew dinner of the season. Although only for a short period of time, our power went out last night with much thanks to a bluster sweeping through Kirkland. Thank you flashlights, thank you candles, and thank you Puget Sound Energy for returning to us the light that we have come to depend on. Casey is enjoying his busy days at Redmond Junior High; he is a devoted teacher, to his students' education and more so to their character and personal growth. I get the privilege of observing him coach 35 boys in football... I could not be more proud of him. He is an organized coach who makes his expectations clear to his players, and his constant encouragement and positivity, I believe, carry the team. I watch from the sidelines... players run off the field, helmets on, heads high. Coach Ward greets them. He ducks down, looks his player in the eyes, his hand firmly holding the top of the red helmet. "You did exactly what I asked you to do. Great job out there. I'm proud of you." A hit on the helmet, which I learn in male football world is done out of love and encouragement, and he turns to focus on the next play. When he is not preparing lesson plans, grading tests, coaching football, or playing on one of his three recreational soccer teams, you might find Casey spending time with his Young Life boys. That's right. He just doesn't get enough time with the peri-pubescent population of Redmond between the hours of 0730 and 1630, and thus needs to supplement by serving in Young Life. Again, his dedication to the children he has come to love is wonderful. As for myself, I am staying busy with my sweet hairless population at Seattle Children's. The children continue to teach me, stretch me, and challenge me with their strength and perseverance. Much more so than a healthy, educated adult, a sick young one knows the value of a day, of a breath. I pray that I might also have this outlook on life, the wisdom to value each moment for what it is and not wish it to be another.
So come autumn, come and let us all enjoy what you have to offer. Until sunshine comes again, I will enjoy walking on crunchy leaves, sipping hot apple cider, breathing in cool air, wrapping my neck with a scarf, and wearing only water-proof shoes.

1 comment:

The Wards said...
This comment has been removed by the author.